Saturday, March 23, 2013

Safe Harbor Resort

Safe Harbor was a resort that was on the southeast side of Leech Lake near Brevik.  It was located just north of Chippewa Lodge.  It originally was a part of Chippewa Lodge.

The owner, of Chippewa, Mr Campbell sold the cabins on the north side of the harbor at Chippewa around WWII.  I can't remember if it was right before or after the war, but my dad told me that it was around that time.  They sat high up on a bluff and had a really great view of the big lake.  Of course a spectacular view of the sunsets on the lake as everyone on the east side did.

I stayed once at Safe Harbor in the 70's when my brother and I spent a long weekend up at Leech fishing.  It looked very much like the picture posted here.  The picture is from a postcard I bought that was postmarked in 1956.  You can see the office/owner's quarters on the right of this picture.
They shared the harbor at Chippewa Lodge.

Sometime in the 80's or 90's, I don't remember, Bud Campbell the son of the elder Mr. Campbell, purchased Safe Harbor again for Chippewa Lodge.

My usual plea, I'd love to hear any stories that anyone has about Safe Harbor.  I don't know much about the resort, but I'm sure lots of people have great memories about staying there.  I did get a nice comment from Wild Rose about her time at Safe Harbor.  It was a comment on my original post on this blog.  I've copied and pasted it here.  If you are still reading this Rose, tell us some more stories!

From the late 1950's early 60's Chamber of Commerce map:

Safe Harbor Resort - East shore.  Near Bear Island.  Modern housekeeping cabins.  Excellent haror facilities.  Jo and Margaret Slavik, Longville, Minn.  On Leech Lake, Brevik Road.  Tel. Walker VE 6-2432.





Went to Safe Harbor Resort back in the late '70s and have always wondered what happened to the family that owned it at that time. Lived next to the owner's daughter and went with her, her husband and their daughter. Absolutely gorgeous up there.




9 comments:

  1. Do you know what happend to Safe Harbor? Did they change the name or tear it down. My Parents took us there in 1971. It was my Dad's last vacation before he passed. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted more pictures on my post about Safe Harbor if you are interested in seeing them!

      Delete
  2. As I noted in my post, The cabins were originally a part of Chippewa Lodge and then were sold and became Safe Harbor. They shared the harbor with Chippewa Lodge. They then were sold back to Bud Campbell and became a part of Chippewa Lodge again.

    If you go to this url:http://www.chippewalodgeresort.com/cabins.php Cabins 14-18 on the south side of the harbor or as you look at the map on the left side, were where Safe Harbor was located. Looking at the information on the Chippewa website, the only cabin that is still original is 18. That would be my best guess. If you called or emailed Chippewa Lodge, they might be able to tell you more.

    I did stay at Safe Harbor once. I don't recall much, it was in the mid to late 70's.

    It was a very cozy resort and very nice. I am pretty certain about the dates that the resort was Safe Harbor 1940's through either the late 70's or sometime in the 80's.

    I had many, many wonderful memories of our time at Leech Lake. My grandpa's cabin was near Safe Harbor/Chippewa Lodge and we bought bait and gas there after Carlson Resort quit selling those things.

    My dad's last vacation before he passed was at Leech Lake also. We have continued to create memories of Leech with my children who are now 22 and 19 who have been going up to Leech since they were born as I have also.

    I'd love to hear some of your memories of the place. Was that your only trip to Leech Lake or did you go other times?

    Thank you very much for posting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, that was my only trip. I'm thinking of vacationing in Leech Lake at the Chippewa resort next year and hopefully start a tradition there.

    One story I remember was my sister and I fishing in the harbor and we were catching Perch left and right and for a 7 and 5 year old, this was exciting. We must have fished for 3 hours without getting bored.

    Another story, there was a boat racer that was staying at the resort and one day he went out and really let it out (not to bright considering all the rocks and stumps) and from what I remember he flipped the boat and had to be taken to the hospital.

    Thanks again for replying to my email.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at an old map of Leech from the 60's I found the owners names were Joe and Margaret Slavik. Does that ring a bell?

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting Joe. Perhaps you could rent one of the old Safe Harbor sites. You could ask them at the resort if that is an original Safe Harbor cabin.

    If you make it to Chippewa Lodge next summer, I'd love to hear your stories. The lake invokes a lot of memories.

    Thanks again for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at a 1982 map, Safe Harbor was still an active resort then. It was owned by Charles Reed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Safe Harbor was originally constructed and owned by my great uncle. His last name was Rife. He built safe harbor in the late 40's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That explains a lot to me! I have seen Rife Resort on resort maps of the lake. I do know that the land was sold by the elder Mr. Campbell in the 40's and it operated as a separate resort up through the 80s when Bud Campbell bought it back for Chippewa Lodge.

      I did not know that the cabins were built new by Mr. Rife!

      THANK YOU so much for your information. I would love it if you could tell me more about the resort and your great uncle! That is so cool!

      Delete