Thursday, September 24, 2015

Big Leech Resort

It has been a while since I posted.  I wish I had an excuse, but I just haven't done it.  I'll try to blog more.

I spent a lot of time fishing off of Pine Point on Leech this summer and as always I spent a lot of time looking at the maps and pictures of Leech and the resorts that I have aquired over the years.  I began to wonder about Big Leech Resort.  I know that it was on the south side of Pine Point on Trader's Bay.  I know it was around in 1982 as it was on the Chamber of  Commerce map.  It was owned by Dave and Jan Filkens at that point.  It appears on maps from the 40's as well.

It is now called Adventure North Resort and is still operating as a resort.  It has a beautiful harbor.  I'm going to do a little more exploring next summer!

It had a dining room, a store, and no harbor as you can see the boats on the shore.  I loved the pictures and the cabins in the pictures.  From the pictures, it appears that there were around 10 cabins in the resort, possibly more.

Anyone that has any stories and/or pictures, I would love to hear from you!

I added 3 more pictures from postcards sent in the middle 70's.  The lodge looks so cool.  I wonder if it is still there?  

The lodge is still there.  It is now rented out.  I also found out that picture of the snowmobiles is probably a stock photo.

From the late 1950's early 60's Chamber of Commerce map:

Big Leech Resort - Central location on Leech Lake.  12 modern cabins.  Lodge with dining room.  Launch service.  Ed and Marie Biska.  Walker, Minn.  Tel. KI 7-1532.













3 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you at Brevik on Saturday. I'm sure I will learn more about Bear Island View as I get to know my neighbors better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Lodge building from the Big Leech resort is the same building as the "Cedars Log Home" for rent on the Adventures North website. My family stayed at Big Leech in 1972.

    ReplyDelete