Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Early Resorts of Minnesota

I'm going to veer off the original path of my blog today, again.  In an earlier post, I talked about Up North at the Cabin, another favorite book of mine.  Actually it isn't so much veering off the path as having the path explained and made wider.

Last year I came across this book by Ren Holland.  I read some of the previews, looked at the website (especially the many pictures on the site) and thought that I needed to have this book!

I bought one for myself and one for my brother.   The pictures were so good. It was like a trip down memory lane for me to read about the resorts on Leech Lake. I found the other lakes and pictures just as interesting. I would love to time travel back to those days in the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's to see what those resorts and lakes looked like back then. This book is the next best thing!  My 18 year old daughter and I sat together for quite a long time looking at it.  

I would highly recommend this for anybody that has great memories about the lakes and the resorts of Minnesota.  It talks about many different areas and I found that the section about Leech Lake was great.  Very informative.  I really enjoyed the other parts of the book that talked about all areas of Minnesota. Each part of Minnesota has its own unique history and quirks.

Ren's blog is http://blog.renholland.com/  Look through the site. It is great!


9 comments:

  1. Does Pine point resort from the 50s and 60s still exist? Maybe under a different name? My wife's great aunt is about to pass away. I found a large photo album full of pictures from Pine point resort on Lake leech. Thanks, Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doug,

      I have updated and added a blog post for Pine Point Resort. Please feel free to post stories, photos, etc on the blog site. If you can't post the pictures on the blog, email them to me and I will be glad to post them for you!

      I'm excited to see your pictures and hear your stories.

      Have a great Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. Hi Doug,

    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Pine Point still does exist. It mostly has mobile homes on it. The old lodge is still there. They rent out the lodge and a few other cabins. A couple are new and a couple are old ones from the resort.

    The website is here: http://shoresatpinepoint.com/

    I have a lot of old pictures of Pine Point Resort. If you want to check back, I will put up a post for it sometime over the holiday weekend.

    I would love to see any of your great aunt's pictures if you want to post any of them after I get the post for Pine Point up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the Shores at Pine Point is a great place to stay, the Old Lodge makes a wonderful beach front reunion cabin!! I highly recommend you check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked at that resort and that lodge many times. I would love to go inside that lodge. You have no idea how bad I would love to go there. It looks so cool. You know they turned the old lodge-restaurant at Grand Vu into a cabin. Another place I would love to go inside of.

      Delete
  4. would you have any information about Cabin Camp Resort located on Boy Lake? It was later named North Star Resort. Cabin Camp also had another duck hunting camp located on Leech Lake, any information on that? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family stayed at North Star Resort every summer for many years. I have so many wonderful memories of Big Boy Lake and the rustic cabins along the water. What info are you looking for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe there was also a resort on Leech Lake called North Star Camp. Had cabins made of large logs. It was on the north side of Portage Bay northwest of Federal Dam.

    ReplyDelete