Saturday, February 22, 2020

Paradise Point Resort

Here is another resort that was gone before we started spending much time on the west side of the Lake.  As I noted, we spent our time up at the lake on the west side near Brevik.  We didn't get on the lake at all on the west side, just got to Walker a couple of times while we were up there. 

These pictures are fantastic.  When I look at pictures like this, I wonder who the people were that were in the picture.  It looks like they had a launch at the resort as the boat on the right had the resort name on it.  Then the rental boats on the left and a guy in one of them.  All wood boats of course, I've driven a few of those wooden boats with a 5 1/2 horse motor on it!

I wonder what the stories about the resort and the people that are that are in the pictures.

I have been told that a lot of the pictures that were on these old post cards were just taken by the owners or someone that did it for them and they sent them in and had post cards made.


Paradise Point Resort was of course located on Paradise Point in Shingobee Bay.  There is nothing on Paradise Point now.  There is one white garage near the water to the north of the point.  It looks like it could have been a part of the resort.

I would love to hear anything that you might know about the resort.   The pictures look like the 50's I'm guessing.  I might be off, but that would be my best guess. 

Sigh.  What I wouldn't give to travel back in time and see all of these places.  I'm not sure when they tore it down, but I'm sure it was a sad day when the last owner closed the doors for the last time and they tore the cabins down.

Info from a Walker Chamber of Commerce from the late 50's early 60's

On sheltered waters of Shingobee Bay, leech Lake.  Modern, ultra-modern cabins.  Playground equipment equipment, swimming float.  A variety of fish.  Mervin K Johnson, Walker, Minn.  Tel. KI 7-1229.




7 comments:

  1. Hey there! Would you sell these photos to me? We own this land and have been looking for photos of it to frame. Thank you, so excited you found this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'm so sorry I never saw your comment.

      I don't have the post cards, but feel welcome to take the pictures off the blog and have them printed. If you can't copy them, I would be happy to send you the electronic copy. Also, if you are interested, I recently saw a Paradise Point Resort sweatshirt on eBay.

      Looking at the pictures, it looks like the resort was actually on the point?

      Again, I apologize for my tardiness in responding to your earlier message.

      Delete
    2. My great grandparents owned paradise point resort. I love these!!

      Delete
    3. Hi Ashley! I'd love to hear more about what your memories were. I think that it was sold to Anderson Resorts sometime around 1990. When did your grandparents own it? Tell me anything that you care to tell me about the resort.

      We spent most of our time on the east side of Leech Lake at Brevik from the time I was a kid until now. So any stories about Paradise Point or anything from the lake would be appreciated.

      I fish right off of Paradise Point all the time now that we have a lease on Walker Bay.

      Thanks for posting!

      Delete
  2. They owned paradise point 1957/1970’s I’m
    Assuming when these pictures were taken. My grandma moved from Iowa to Walker as a teen when they bought it. I grew up on the resort, gene Troyna is my grandpa he owned Walker bait shop. Leech lake is home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley,

      Do you still go up to Leech? If you do, I'm up there not far at all from Paradise Point. I'd love to chat with you if you are ever up there at the same time as I'm there.

      Delete
  3. You are lucky! My grandparents owned a cabin on the east side, which is why we were there. We always got to spend 2 weeks each year at the cabin and sometimes if we were lucky, a couple of other trips up there. We lease a cabin in what used to be Ivanhoe Resort. We love it there!

    That would have been fun growing up on the resort. What years did you spend up there? I love those photos too. If you want, I'm pretty sure you can grab them off of the blog. It looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete