Saturday, November 19, 2016

Shady Knolls Resort

Shady Knolls was located just a little bit south of Walker on Walker Bay.  It operated as a resort through the 2000's I believe.  It has been sold off in parts.  The part south of the harbor is private and the area north of the harbor is still intact with some of the old cabins there.  I'm not sure of the ownership of that part.

There are a couple of beautiful old log cabins, and some bigger ones still there.  It is a beautiful piece of land, and a great harbor.

One of the things that I found interesting about Shady Knolls is that the railroad tracks ran right by the beach area and the side of the resort.  I'm sure it got noisy sometimes!

It certainly was a cool looking place.  I'm sure many memories were made by a lot of families through the years.

From the late 1950's early 60's Chamber of Commerce map:

Shady Knolls - Leech Lake.  Two miles south of Walker, Highway 371.  Family Resort, cozy cabins, central showers, clean grounds, safe beach, ramp, boat harbor.  Minerva Dahl.  Tel. KI 7-1334.

I'd love to hear your stories.


4 comments:

  1. We went there many years when i was a kid growing up in the 80s and 90s. Peaceful place and amazing walleye fishing. Great memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m staying at the old Ivanhoe Resort. It is called South Walker Bay. Resort now and is a private resort. We fish out in front of Shady Knolls quite often. It is a really cool place. Do you have any stories? Have you been up to Leech Lake recently?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family went to Shady Knolls for years. The last summer they were open was 1999. Heart breaking when they closed and sold off. There were 8 cabins. Nothing fancy, but perfect for us. My extended family squeezed in to 4 of the cabins. And 3 of the others were the same families every year. The caretakers were amazing. It was like a big reunion every summer.
    We spent the days at the beach, some would fish, tubing/skiing, playing baseball, tetherball, frisbee, and basketball. Nights would be bonfires and night games.
    They had an old pop machine that dispensed glass bottles - was always a fun treat.
    How I miss it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your post. I always find it heart breaking when a resort closes. One less place for families to make memories up at the lake. It is a very beautiful property and has great views of Walker Bay.

    I'm not sure of how the ownership works now. They recently have redone the harbor and a couple of the original cabins have been refurbished. The cabin that sits by the beach has been refurbished and the small sits by the harbor has also been re-done. There are at least 3 of the original cabins left and maybe 4. I'll have to look closer next time I'm up there.

    I have a friend of mine that has relatives that used to own Shady Knolls. I"m not sure of the time frame, but I can see that it was a great place to stay.

    Do you still go up to the lake?

    Thanks again for sharing your story. I like finding people that have shared memories of our lake up north!

    ReplyDelete