Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Silver Springs Resort

Silver Springs Resort was a resort on Kabekona Bay of Leech Lake on the west side of the lake.  Although I never stayed or even went to Silver Springs, I came across a site put up by Mr. Bill Van Dyck about his family's history at Silver Springs.  I did get a chance to talk to Bill in person.  He loved his time at Silver Springs.  There is one cabin he thought that is left.  Although it has been remodeled several times and isn't recognizable as a resort cabin.

From the late 1950's early 60's Chamber of Commerce map:

Silver Springs - Kabekona Bay on Leech Lake.  Housekeeping cabins.  Modern plus refrigerators and gas ranges.  Good 18 ft. wood boats.  Children's playground.  Wayne and Edith Legg, Walker, Minn.  Tel KI 7-1646

2 comments:

  1. Kurt, it was great meeting you this summer. I hope you had a good stay at the lake. Maybe we can get together for lunch at the Outdoorsman next year.

    I really enjoy your blog. You are right, there were some great resorts here on Leech.

    Many years ago (1960) my dad and I were at Cockran's Marina and there are a large old wooden cruiser sittin derelict and deteriorating in a cradle. I commented to dad "It's named Forest View The Beautiful. It's not very beautiful sitting there." He said that I should see the resort, it is beautiful.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was beautiful. Sad to see it go. The resort was pretty run down by the time they sold out.

      Delete