Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sunset View Resort

This picture is from the 30's or 40's I'm pretty sure.  It is from Sunset View Resort, it sat on the hill overlooking the lake.  I think it was cabin #2.  My grandparents and my dad stayed in this cabin when they went to the lake before Grandpa built his own cabin down the shoreline about a half a mile.

A gentleman named Hal Berger owned the resort, and owned a lot of the land near Brevik.  My grandpa bought his lot from Hal.

This resort has absolutely one of the best beaches on the lake.  Wide and deep.  And the views of the sunset are breathtaking.  A very good choice of names.

As kids we used to go to the store up the hill at the top of Sunset View.  We would buy candy but I really remember the individual pies that you could buy in a tin.  It was always a great treat to get one of those.  They eventually moved the store to the bottom of the hill on the beach.  My brother Pete could tell a lot of good stories about the store when it was on the hill.

I always loved this resort, although we only stayed here a couple of times after my grandpa sold his cabin.  However it was a huge part of my childhood memories of my time up north at the lake, as we spent a lot of time going to the store.

From that 50's 60's map:  

On East shore of Leech Lake.  Modern and rustic cottages, beach, groceries, playground, private harbor, new boats, motors, bait, gas, tackle. P.O. Longville, Minnesota.  Tel. Walker VE 6-2436.  

I added another picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment